Getting a Library Card
Library cards are free of charge to residents of the Library taxing district and to persons who pay property taxes or license a business in Monroe County but reside elsewhere. Military personnel and family on active duty in Monroe County are also eligible for a free resident card.
To receive a free library card, applicants typically provide a valid Florida Driver’s License or Florida ID card displaying their current Monroe County address. If these forms of identification are not available, or if the address is not current or local, an applicant may provide a valid, government-issued photo ID card with one of the following:
• Monroe County Property Tax Receipt or Business License
• Pay stub, IRS return or printed bank checks showing applicant’s name and local address
• A current residential lease of at least 6 months
• Monroe County School or Employer ID
• Current Monroe County Utility Bills
• Monroe County Voter’s Registration Card
• Current Monroe County Vehicle or Vessel Registration
If you’ve forgotten to bring along your library card, just show us your valid Driver’s License or photo ID card and we’ll look you up. Lost your card? The first few replacement cards are on us. After that, there may be a nominal replacement fee.
Are you visiting the Keys? We offer a visitors card for $30.00 annually, entitling you to full check-out privileges. In addition, each library offers a free paperback exchange and ongoing book sale, with most titles less than $5.00.
We look forward to your visit!